Monday, January 09, 2006

Welcome to the big boys

This was on Vancouver Canucks op-ed and i think its awesome


This story on ESPN this afternoon proves two important points - first, there are plenty of goofball hockey fans on the loose that I never want to meet in person; second, Jose Theodore has a great sense of humour. (I think I would have just clubbed this guy with my stick.)


Man crashes Canadiens' practice with 'nothing to lose'

Associated Press


MONTREAL -- Canadiens goaltender Jose Theodore has stopped a lot of shots in his day, but nothing like this: A stranger in hockey equipment jumped on the ice during practice and shot a puck at him.

"He couldn't beat me," Theodore said. "That's the main thing."

The practice crasher was chased to the side boards by coach Claude Julien, but wouldn't get off the ice until he was pulled away by an arena worker. The intruder called Theodore a "great goalie," adding he didn't score because "I didn't have time."

"I didn't really know what was going on until the guy came on," a grinning Theodore said. "He came at me with his head down so I just wanted to say 'Welcome to the big boys.' I poke-checked him to say, `You have to keep your head up.' When he came back, I thought about going out of the net and not playing into his game, but then I thought he had the [courage] to go on the ice, so I let him have a free shot at me."


No comments: